Summer 2008 (Vol. IX, No. 2) Table of Contents
- What Should Amazon Do with AbeBooks?
- Problems with Amazon as an Antiquarian Seller Site
- What Is Wrong With Today’s Amazon?
- A Bookseller’s Tasha Tudor Remembrance
- Robert Fisher of Echo Letterpress
- An Open Letter To The Select Committee On Security And Consitutional Affairs, Parliament Of The Republic Of South Africa
- Embracing the Unexpected
- Books About Bookselling: The Bookseller’s Apprentice
- Adventures with a Binder
- Author Profile: Matthew Eck
- June Gaulding and Mark Gaulding of JMVintage
- Alan Deffenderfer of ABD Booksellers
- Golden Books Group of Devon, U.K.
- Letter to the Editor: Thank You
- Yard Sale Tales
- Happy Hits
- Literary Pilgrimages: Patchin Place
- A passion for books but not proofreading
- MacIntosh Books and Paper
- Book Store Labels: Zavelle Book Stores, Philadelphia
- Bookplates: W. B. Brandt & Co.
- The Bookshelf of Willie Sutton
I had been selling books for just about a year, and was on a scouting trip. After a long unsuccessful, very hot morning of yard sales my last stop was one with a lot of cardboard boxes filled with books. Her price, 25 cents for the hardbacks, 10 cents for the paperbacks. So I settled in. I picked and chose quite a few and then browsed the paperbacks, composed largely of science fiction. Some were quite old and all were in fine condition, and I picked up a few. I didn’t know much about SF and thought the only good book was a hardback (oops) and went home.
Going through the paperbacks I opened a copy of Star Wars and checked the title page and almost feel over—yes, signed “May the Force be with you” by George Lucas, in fine unread condition. Not bad for a 10 cent investment, and the hardbacks were clean, most near fine to fine, and well, I wish I bought the whole lot.
Sharon Heimann operates E Ridge Fine Books out of Lake Elsinore, CA and can be contacted at http://www.eridgebooks.com.
Check out the Independent Online Booksellers Association Website