The Independent Online Booksellers Association is offering three scholarships this year. IOBA awards these scholarships to support the professional development of its member booksellers, without regard to their level of accomplishment or the length of their time in the book trade. We believe that every well-educated, well-informed, and ethical bookseller is a credit to the trade and to our organization, and we consider these scholarships to be our investment in the future of bookselling.
These scholarships are available to any current IOBA member in good standing, excluding members of the Scholarship Committee and current Officers.
One scholarship is restricted to the 2014 Colorado Antiquarian Book Seminar, to be held in Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA from August 3-8, 2014 . A second scholarship is restricted to the York Antiquarian Book Seminar, to be held in York, England from September 15-17, 2014. The third scholarship may be used for either of these, or for any one of these other opportunities:
(In order to allow time for the LRBS, RBS and CALRBS admissions process, a scholarship awarded to one of these schools is valid until December 31, 2015.)
Each IOBA Scholarship covers tuition, plus up to $400 (£180 for YABS) for expenses. Non-North American winners who elect to attend CABS will receive an additional $500 travel stipend.
* * * * * * *
Please answer all questions, and provide the requested additional information.
1) What is your business name?
2) How long have you been selling books?
3) How long have you been a member of IOBA?
4) Which program do you want to attend? Please let us know if you only wish to be considered for the open scholarship.
* Please provide correct working URLs to your website and/or to other websites where you are currently selling books. Do you have an open shop, exhibit at book fairs, or sell at other venues? If so, please provide details.
* Write an essay of up to two pages about why you wish to attend and how this might aid your professional development. Due to the nature of IOBA, relatively few of us have met one another in person, so think of this as your opportunity to introduce yourself to the Committee. Who are you? Why are you a bookseller? Are you involved in volunteer work in the community or the trade? What are your accomplishments? Your shortcomings? Your hopes and dreams? Why should we invest in you?
* A letter of recommendation is required; this can be written by any bookseller, except those who are either IOBA officers or members of the Scholarship Committee. (The recommending seller need not be an IOBA member.)
* * * * * * *
All entries must be received via email no later than June 1, 2014. Applications and letters of recommendation should be addressed to: firstname.lastname@example.org (Please include “IOBA scholarship application” in the subject headers of all emails.)
The winner or winners will be chosen by the IOBA Scholarship Committee, and will be notified by telephone and by email no later than June 15, 2014.
Best of luck to all!