Spring 2004 (Vol V, No. 1) Table of Contents
- What’s your best price?
- Editor’s Swan Song & Announcement of New Editor(s)
- eBay Bookselling
- Campaign to Amend USA Patriot Act Grows
- Advance Look at 2004’s Big Bookselling Story: Amend Section 215 of the Patriot Act
- Buying And Selling Autographed Books – Past, Present & Future
- Safe shopping on eBay?
- Ain’t No Gold In Them There Hills – Book Buying in Appalachia
- New Age Book Sellers
- Things You Don’t Know Can Cramp Your Style
- Searching for Ulysses in Greek Or, How I Spent My Summer Vacation
- Current Stats for Used Book Market
- Libraries I Have Known and Loved
- Forgotten Americana – The Women’s Suffrage Movement
- Ephemeral Assays: George the First
- Setting Up Your Own Internet Book Store
- Touring the Library of Congress
- Samuel T. Freeman’s Catalog: Pros/Cons of CD vs. Print Version
- The Alibris Pricing Tool
- IOBA Q & A Column and an unanswered question
- New Price Guide for Paperbacks Available
- Trade Names
- BookWriter Professional: Flagship Software for Booksellers
- 15th NYC Collectable Paperback & Pulp Fiction Expo
- 31st Annual Rochester Antiquarian Book Fair
- A Michigan undertaker/poet deals with the humor and pathos of death
- New York Is Book Country Fair
- Seattle Fair Continues Success in a Tough Economy and Looks to Future Additions
- 19th Annual Denver Book Fair
- Fall 2003 MARIAB Book Fair: Making a Regional Fair Work
- Sacramento Book Fair
- Pasadena Book Fair
- The Tattoo Encyclopedia: A Guide To Choosing Your Tattoo
- 25th Annual Colorado Book Market Seminar
- Postcards of Nursing: A Worldwide Tribute
- Burke’s Dave Robicheaux Chases Demons Down Purple Cane Road
- Walter Mosley, Sharan Newman And Monterey, Too! That’s What Left Coast Crime 2004 Promises
- Book Deodorizer
- Changes at TitlesDirect.com, Inc.
- Rozan’s Winter and Night WinsTop 2003 Macavity Mystery Award
- Hijacking Elvis Cole & Joe Pike Is a Crime, Claims Popular Mystery Author Robert Crais
- New Features at TomFolio.com
- Books & Collectibles Updated Services
- ChooseBooks.com Celebrates First Anniversary and continues to expand services
- Global Book Mart: New Fee Schedule in 2004
Graham Holroyd’s new price guide for paperbacks, Paperback Prices and Checklist, fills a real need for collectors and booksellers. The initial printing of 5000 copies should sell out in a hurry, since no similar guide exists and the only previous similar work, that by Kevin Hancer, is out of print.
According to Holroyd over 40,000 paperbacks are listed, most published before 1970. The book is easy to use, indexed by publisher, author, and some of the better-known cover artists. Author pseudonyms are listed throughout.
The oversize soft cover book, an impressive 800 pages long, includes 1000 cover scans. The print is a little small, but that’s probably an elderly quibble considering the book’s overall usefulness and completeness.
The author, an experienced and long-time bookseller in Rochester, NY, specializes in science fiction, fantasy, and vintage paperbacks. The price guide took Holroyd five years to complete and he plans an update in two or three years.
Holroyd published the book himself and copies are available by contacting him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Dealer terms are available. Copies are also available at a number of independent bookstores.
Holroyd, Graham & Jon Warren (intro by Richard Lupoff). Paperback Prices and Checklist. Rochester: Graham Holroyd, 2003. Soft cover. 8 1/2 X 11. $29.95
By: Martha Kelly
Check out the Independent Online Booksellers Association Website